Brian Magovern, age 64, is the son of Frank and Rosalie Magovern, who summered in Belmar with their parents early in the 1900’s. Brian lives in his family’s home, where he was born and raised, with his eight brothers and sisters.
Brian was married to his late wife Jane for 40 years, and is the father to two daughters Meghann and Colleen, and grandfather to Drew, Grant, Rose and Sean.
Brian earned his Bachelor’s degree at William Paterson College of New Jersey. He taught at St. Rose Grammar School for five years and was then appointed Belmar Recreation Director from 1979 until 2007. Brian currently works as the Athletic Director and physical education teacher at St. Peter School in Point Pleasant Beach.
Brian was elected to Belmar Council in 2010 and 2013 and selected as Council President in 2014, the leadership position he continues to hold today. Brian is committed to working with the Mayor and Council to continue constructive progress throughout Belmar.
Council responsibilities include:
• Planning Board Member
• Harbor Commission Member
• Director of the Shade Tree Commission
• Beach Committee (operations and activities)
• Tourism Committee Member
• Community Services Committee (including youth services, recreation, senior citizen services)
Belmar Community Service:
• 2004-2016 Belmar Historical Society (Trustee 2016, Co-chair 2008, 2009)
• 2004-2015 –Belmar Geese Peace representative and dog handler
• 2007 – Monmouth County Employee of the Year
• 2002 Belmar Citizen of the Year
• The George Hixon Distinguished Kiwanis President Award 1988