Matthew J. Doherty, Mayor
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 5, 2018
Media Contact: Colleen Connolly
Belmar Winter Fire Safety
Belmar Mayor Matthew Doherty today announced a month long public service announcement campaign to raise awareness among Belmar residents on the very real dangers of winter fires. Every week in the month of January, Belmar will release fire safety tips to encourage residents to stay warm safely. The following winter fire facts were researched and published by FEMA:
- 890 people die in winter home fires each year in the United States.
- $2 billion in property loss occurs each year from winter home fires.
- Winter home fires account for only 8 percent of the total number of fires in the U.S., but result in 30 percent of all fire deaths.
- Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
- A heat source too close to combustibles is the leading factor contributing to the start of a winter home fire (15 percent).
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.
Mayor Doherty encourages Belmar residents to take time to review the public safety announcements that will be released every Friday through the month of January. The announcements may be found on the borough’s website www.Belmar.com under Belmar Alerts, as well as on facebook and Twitter in both English and Spanish.
Release for Friday, January 5th: Put a Freeze on Winter Fires / Congelemos los Incendios De Inverno
Christian Dior handbags